cairo, xorg-lib-libXft: LCD

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Fri Mar 9 14:55:52 CET 2007

Hi,

that's how my screen has been configured:

http://www.quarto.pl/~gotar/cairo-without-lcd.png

today I've upgraded cairo (with dozen of other libs) and the effect
(yes, so poor) is shown here:

http://www.quarto.pl/~gotar/cairo-lcd.png

Only some GTK apps were affected. Trying to rescue my eyes I've been
breaking my system more and more and eventually everything was looking
like this.

freetype rebuilded --without lcd has given mono hinting (no sub-pixel at
all). Solution is pretty simple - rebuild cairo and xorg-lib-libXft
--without lcd, so that they use their own sampling code.

So my conclusion is: freetype 2.3 is handling subpixel badly, much worse
than cairo/Xft. If there's no way to switch rendering method (within
freetype) we should get back to native.

--
Tom Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>           http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                         http://tccs.sourceforge.net/