cairo, xorg-lib-libXft: LCD

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sat Mar 10 20:29:17 CET 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:49:09PM +0100, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> > Yes (LG L1930B), I've checked order with magnyfying glass (it is R-G-B)
>
> And the screen resolution matches the monitor resolution?

Yep. It's connected through DVI.

~: xdpyinfo
[...]
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (382x302 millimeters)
  resolution:    85x86 dots per inch
[...]

> It really is. And it looks fine on my screen. The yellow and blue are
> very bright, they are unnoticeable in 1:1 scale.

And how about cairo-without-lcd.png? How is it worse?

> LCD filtering can be turned off on the level of fontconfig / Gnome /

I don't want to disable it. I want it to work in cairo/Xft way.

> KDE. There isn't yet a switch which chooses between parameters of LCD
> filtering however (the freetype implementation has a few modes; they
> even include the one equivalent to the old xft/cairo algorithm, but
> I think it's for testing and it will be eventually removed).

FT_LCD_FILTER_LEGACY
But it's description (need for very good hinting and BCI) doesn't
explain why do you see cairo-without-lcd.png worse.

> > There's a reason why these patches are still not incorporated.
>
> The reason is that this freetype functionality is quite young.

I'm not talking about freetype...

> They are already incorporated into the official freetype, only libraries
> using freetype don't rely on them yet.

...but about them.

--
Tom Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>           http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/