SPECS (AC-branch): filesystem.spec - release 5: %ghost for /initrd...

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Tue Mar 13 21:25:54 CET 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
> >> Because it's impossible to upgrade if old root (from boot time) is
> >> mounted on /initrd.  cpio fails on unpacking the *.rpm.
> >>
> >> It has been broken for quite a while... :-/
> >
> > so fix what's broken.
>
> I have fixed what was broken.  At least one part of it.
no, that's not "fixing". it's workarounding problem from wrong direction.
initrd needs fixing, not filesystem.spec having workarounds.

> > anyway not being able to umount /initrd (due unmounted /initrd/dev) is
> > fixed in geninitrd 8142.
>
>   $ rpm -q geninitrd
>   geninitrd-8286-1

installing geninitrd package doesn't "fix" your problem. you need to
regenerate initrd using fixed geninitrd.

if you've all done that, then please show your initrd contents (while /initrd
still mounted to be sure to compare initrd used for boot):
# cat /initrd/linuxrc

of course there's slight chance there's either another bug or new one
introduced (or old one re-implemented ;)).

as quick workaround not being to upgrade filesystem package, issue:
# umount /initrd/dev /initrd

--
glen