Idea - schematic information in %description

Łukasz Jernaś deejay1 at srem.org
Fri May 4 13:35:28 CEST 2007

Dnia czwartek, 3 maja 2007, Przemyslaw Iskra napisał:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:57:40AM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > If you want package categories, please add as a separate tag, not by
> > overloading description.
>
> Yup, that would be a better idea. I was thinking about %description
> because it actually works. Adding new tag requires some work in rpm, as
> well as a decent support in poldek. But making a list of all possible
> categories and tags, and than adding it to packages is going to take
> a lot of time anyway.
>
> I don't really feel the idea of adding such information separatelly from
> building process. Of course it isn't wise to rebuild some big package
> just because of changes in summary, description or category, but in case
> of our automation a lot of work may be required to do it other way than
> rebuilding the package.

Maybe something like Provides: SUPPORT_<extension> which could be even
autogenerated at build time from proper mime type description availible in
most packages .desktop files?
[deejay1 at betty ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop | grep MimeType
MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/pjpeg;image/png;image/tiff;image/x-bmp;image/x-compressed-xcf;image/x-fits;image/x-gray;image/x-pcx;image/x-png;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-psd;image/x-sgi;image/x-sun-raster;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xcf;image/x-xpixmap;image/x-xwindowdump;

and the appopriate XDG mime search?
This could be a pretty nifty freedesktop spec ;>

Regards,
--
Łukasz [DeeJay1] Jernaś