Idea - schematic information in %description

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Fri May 4 15:01:44 CEST 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Przemyslaw Iskra wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 01:35:28PM +0200, Łukasz Jernaś wrote:
>>
>> Maybe something like Provides: SUPPORT_<extension>
>
> I'd say: no. This has to be primatly information for people, not
> scripts
> or for some automation.
>
>> which could be even
>> autogenerated at build time from proper mime type description
>> availible in
>> most packages .desktop files?
>> [deejay1 at betty ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop | grep
>> MimeType
>> MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/jpg;...
>
> I was thinking about ripping information from .desktop files, but how
> about console applications without desktop file ? Like file converters
> and such. Or when some additional package is needed for that
> funcionality.

If you just want a marker for mime-type handlers that are currently
resident in a MimeType tag, then overloading dependencies with, say
     Provides: desktop(image/bmp;image/g3fax)
makes a lot of sense.

My previous comments where wrto Group: tag analogues. There's
a new suggestion for a Category: hierarchy monthly.

> Anyway MimeType from .desktop files should be useful to get
> preliminary information.

Look at existing libtool(...) or pkgconfig(...) automagic dependency
extraction scripts for examples.

> And supported file types is not the only thing I'd like to be tagged
> this way, but for now only other use for it I've got in my head is
> describing game generes.

FYI, rpm already classifies files using libmagic. It would not be hard
to run libmagic to automagically generate the mime-type associated
with every file, filter, and save in metadata.

What would be needed for a useful implementation is some thought
about where the mime-types for each file should be installed. An rpmdb
is rather too much work for most applications to retrieve data.