[RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Radoslaw Zielinski radek at pld-linux.org
Mon May 14 13:46:15 CEST 2007

Jan Rekorajski <baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl> [14-05-2007 01:05]:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
>> Jan Rekorajski <baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl> [14-05-2007 00:41]:
[...]
>>> I don't think you understood, I'm not proposing VCS change, that's for
>>> the future.  I'm proposing layout change to make it _possible_ to even
>>> consider a VCS change.
>> I'm sure I did.  I just see it differently: changing layout to a *worse*
> Why worse?

To avoid making up reasons (and repeating ourselves about excessive
metadata): I would find this structure more annoying.  Longer paths,
the need for mkdir.

> Sorry, but the only real problem you stated is that scripts will stop
> working, and that can be easily fixed.

That was, as I wrote, `off the top of my head', not an analysis.
Alright, a weak argument. ;-)

>> one so it's possible to switch to a *worse* (for this purpose) VCS.
> Anything to back up this statement?  There are more VCSs than just CVS
> or SVN.

Widely used (in OSS world)?  Come on...  Everything (?) else features
and focuses on distributed repositories, which we don't need.

If there existed a better VCS for our needs, someone would outline the
gains and we'd have switched already.

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek at pld-linux.org>