[th] rpm.spec - packaging problem

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 9 15:06:23 CET 2007

Last year rpm switched the /etc/rpm/sysinfo syntax. Now it expects
/etc/rpm/sysinfo to be a directory with following files inside:

    "Providename",
    "Requirename",
    "Conflictname",
    "Obsoletename",
    "Dirnames",
    "Filelinktos"

(Taken from rpm/lib/rpmds.c)

In PLD we still provide it as a file which limits its use (the
fallback treats everything in the file as Providename).

After doing:

mv /etc/rpm/sysinfo{,.old}
mkdir /etc/rpm/sysinfo
mv /etc/rpm/sysinfo{.old,/Filelinktos}

We can do useful stuff like:

echo "foo >= 0.2" >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Requirename

to pin a certain package a'la Gentoo's world package. Both sysadmins
and poldek could benefit from this feature (poldek would need a helper
binary called via sudo to alter the contents but it uses sudo for rpm
anyway).

Therefore I propose fixing the packaging to adapt the new upstream format.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution