Unclear Firefox situation

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Wed Sep 19 22:05:42 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 09:42:06PM +0200, Marcin Król wrote:
> > Older versions of Firefox used "Bon Echo" branding which is permitted
> > to all parties. Now it seems official branding is back. Any particular
> > reason? Are we allowed to do that? We can use "community edition"
> > instead of "Bon Echo" but I doubt we are allowed to ship it as
> > "Firefox."
>
> I didn't used 2.0.0.7 yet but 2.0.0.6 was BonEcho on both Ac and Th.
> Quick look at changelog says that it still should be BonEcho or I missed
> something. Anyway, problem is more complex. We can't use branding for
> Thunderbird and SeaMonkey as well. Last one is problematic as it doesn't
> matter if you do official build or not, its always branded. Maybe we
> should use Debian patches and change software names, logos etc to
> Iceweasel, Iceape and Icedove? Does Debian allows use of these patches
> in other distros? I have it in my looong todo but with low priority.

I think Debian does allow it, but I don't even remember those package
names. BTW: iceweasel.spec contains obsolete version of package, with
well known security bugs.

> BTW: if I remember correctly license also disallows use of terms
> "mozilla firefox" and "mozilla thunderbird" anywhere in package
> including executable file names.

"Mozilla Community Edition Policy" doesn't say anything about files
or filenames, just:

   You may not prefix the name product with "Mozilla" (e.g. "Mozilla
Firefox Community Edition" is not allowed.) nor use the official Firefox
or Thunderbird logos to identify the software.  You can, of course,
still use the unofficial ones.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/