BR-s and R-s policy

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Thu Sep 20 11:29:58 CEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 08:33:09AM +0200, Cezary Krzyzanowski wrote:
> Patrys asked me to up evolution spec to 1.12 (corresponding with GNOME
> 2.20) and I've spotted, that during the GNOME packages update all the
> BR-s and R-s of gnome packages were upped to 2.20 line.
>
> The question is -- Is this necessary? I mean I've looked into
> evolution's configure.in and it seems it doesn't need half the newest
> packages that are listed in BR-s and R-s in evolution.spec (like it
> needs GConf2 >= 2.0.0, not newest, shiniest 2.19).

Bumping always to currently latest version is not necessary and
sometimes annoying.
But specifying versions of packages from the same GNOME release just in
packages belonging to the same GNOME release (and similarly for
KDE/XFCE/etc.) to get consistent package set is fine. It seems that
at least some GNOME packages are not tested with older dependent
packages and need some newer in fact.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/