[Fwd: Re: [Th] Upgrade apport - jak rozumieć ten błąd?]

Adam Golebiowski adamg at agmk.net
Wed Apr 9 21:29:33 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Tomasz Mateja wrote:

> >> So what?
> >> Why not upgrade glibc in ac to 2.7? and XFree to xorg - they are also
> >> very old. This is STABLE so minor updates or security updates are
> >> welcome. bugs.pld-... is not the place for this request.
> >
> > glibc = would break 2.4 kernel compatability (afaik already glibc 2.4
> > required 2.6.0 kernel), that has been accidentally already broken several
> > times. intentionally broking it would be evil.
> >
> > xorg 7.0 = too much to rebuild with so less gain, and so far there's no
> > binary incompatibility that i've encountered using X11 (aka xorg 6.9).
> >
> > and kernel update is needed to let ac live a little longer. as there's
> > need to support newer hardware. it was considered dead already time it
> > was released. and some major changes like updating glibc or gcc would
> > mean changing the distro, i.e dropping some architectures and 2.4 kernel
> > compatability.
>
> What are the super-hiper features with new release of kernel??

Hardware support. It already happened once or twice to me, when I had to use
kernel newer than 2.6.16 as my NIC wasn't supported - later I discoverd
r8168.spec which would help me as well, but you see the point.

As Elan said, 2.6.16.x stays (as 2.4.x does), but 2.6.22 (or newer) are there

> Remeber - no xorg - no compiz - no fun - kernel upgrade wont help
> Old glibc - new kernel - compatibility emulated - what new features?
> upgrade kernel for desktops in AC - useless

As above - it's all about new features, like new hardware, powertop, vmsplice
exploit support... I do not need powertop on my server, but would like to
play a bit with it on my laptop. And no, I do not want (-ENOTIME) to migrate
to Ti or Th.

> upgrade kernel for servers - more useless

not necessary true.

--
http://www.agmk.net/ - hosting, strony www, opieka informatyczna