kernel + xorg + nvidia

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Tue Aug 5 11:59:27 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 10:45:16 Tomasz Pala wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 17:04:18 +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > how about we do the userspace pkg R: kernel package if %{with
> > dist_kernel}?
>
> Then xorg-driver-video-nvidia on ftp would require dist kernel - this is
> bogus.
yes. exactly. but seems only way to make deps functional. if you use custom
kernel, you can as well build your own userspace package (you need to build
from same .spec anyway the kernel nvidia module, as pointed earlier by
patrys)

how many out there use custom kernel anyway (i mean by that kernel installed
without rpm package)?

> > so if you do not use dist kernel you can build your own package for
> > kernel/userspace?
>
> There's absolutely no reason for userspace nVidia module to require
> specific kernel build (just version must match).

yes, and userspace version should not be updated if there's no version
available for kernel package. this is what initiated the initial thread. as i
can use userspace from distro, but there's no kernel-laptop available in th
for example, so i have to build kernel module myself (however note it's
not "custom" kernel).

--
glen