SPECS: tmpwatch.spec - missingok flag for cron.daily entries for not to ree...

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Wed Dec 3 02:09:11 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 21:20:58 +0200, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

>> +- missingok flag for cron.daily entries for not to reenable file removal
>
> this is bad idea.

I don't want tmpwatch at all. It tries to install themselve whenever I
install any other package containing tmpwatch/*.conf files (did I
mention how I love directory dependencies?). This is the way I'm gonna
get rid of tmpwatch forever.

> don't remove the file, truncate it (comment out, etc)

tmpwatch is entire script, not one-liner - it doesn't fit to be
commented out (truncating and exiting is way to ugly).

tmpwatch.directories is symlink to tmpwatch.cron that resides in
%_sbindir - I'd prefer not to have any %verify in this directory.

> it is quite hard to recover the file otherwise

If I remove the file it means I want to have it removed, regarding
contents. Restoring tmpwatch.directories is easy anyway (just symlink).

> as rpm won't even place
> you .rpmnew file if it hasn't changed in package!

I'd like not to have .rpmnew file in place of removed one (and don't
risk accidental running).

> also you wouldn't have even idea the there should be any file to start
> recovering it (even rpm -V shouldn't complain)

This file won't be useful unless I do need this functionality. If I
needed it I would know that there's missing cron entry.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>