TeXLive

wrobell wrobell at pld-linux.org
Sat Dec 6 22:41:21 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 06:35:29PM +0100, Zsolt Udvari wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I want to create texlive.spec, and it's under developing. I use the
> tetex.spec as the beginning, but I've a question: should I split more
> subpackages the texlive package? What I think: the style-files,
> documentclass-files, e.g. exam.cls put into texlive-latex-exam, etc.
> When you think it, I make it. Imho it would be better (nearer to
> "pld-philosphy": http://www.pld-linux.org/Features -> Micropackages).

well, tetex.spec went bit nuts :)

i do remember that tetex package split gave us real HDD space[1] and network
usage[2] savings, so it is worth the effort.

for example, tetex-*context* packages, which i don't use, are over 38MB in
size (to download).

if you know that adding some subpackage will save several MB in size, then
why not. otherwise i would not bother.

regards,

    wrobell <wrobell at pld-linux.org>

[1] my asus eee pc has 4GB of storage, so don't event try to tell me that
    sdd space is cheap

[2] i am accessing internet via 3G, so please don't tell me that bandwith
    is cheap, as well