Packaging .py files

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed Jul 16 15:07:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

Following up on a Jabber discussion with arekm I'd like to start
packaging .py files along with their bytecode counterparts. The
reasoning:

1) It's much easier to find bugs in your own code (or the code you're
packaging at the moment) when the libraries are available at hand
(currently I'm forced to do `builder -bp python-foo`).

2) It's much easier to trace faulty applications when you can just
copy the path from a traceback and open the file in vim (yes, yes, or
emacs).

3) We'll no longer need to patch multiple applications that either use
codegen.py (patches for this are all over the place) or use
glob("*.py") to find their plugins.

I'm not planning a mass commit or anything but I'll start packaging
the sources instead of removing them when commiting from now on.

Please no "save the 1k of disk space" arguments.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution