Packaging .py files

Mariusz Mazur mmazur at kernel.pl
Thu Jul 17 02:14:35 CEST 2008

Dnia czwartek, 17 lipca 2008, Bartosz Taudul napisał:
> Yes, condoning bad code practices is the way to go. Go install your
> ubuntu.

It's "bad" in theory. In practice, for the past maaaany years nobody gives a
shit about theory in case of /bin/sh. So that's top score for theory and a
FAIL on the reality check.

> > or we've done something to it without having much clue about original
> > developers' reasons for a particular choice (ripping out internal
> > versions of various libs).
>
> Half the time the original developers "don't have a clue", so your
> argument fails.

Then fix upstream. You have no idea whether they do or don't have a clue if
you don't ask first. I'd rather default to assuming that the guys who wrote
the stuff know better than Joe Random Developer does. I'm actually *using*
their code, so I kind of assume they have some kind of clue.

> > (python -- I'm
> > quite sure it's authors never meant for it to be distributed the way we
> > do)
>
> The more I know about python the more I am assured it's a joke language.

That's not an argument. Anything more on point you'd like to add wrt to the
python discussion?

> > The only part where we actually prefer not to have bash is where our own
> > (made in-house) scripts are concerned.
>
> You and who else?

And concerning the point of that sentence? Anything you'd like to say? Maybe
that it's false or sth? With some specific reasons as to why?

> > All other scripts should be run with
> > what their authors expected, and that's bash (the Have It Just Work
> > rule). The
>
> Bullshit. The scripts that expect bash have "#!/bin/bash" in header, not
> "#!/bin/sh".

That's true only for the scripts whose authors (a) know there are distros that
don't use bash as sh and (b) give a shit. That's a minority. Doing it 'our
way' is simply pointless (what exactly do we gain?).

--
Judge others by their intentions and yourself by your results.
                                                                 Guy Kawasaki