Packaging .py files

Mariusz Mazur mmazur at kernel.pl
Thu Jul 17 17:17:21 CEST 2008

Dnia czwartek, 17 lipca 2008, Tomasz Pala napisał:
> Unfortunately these apps do not expect anything - they have some piece
> of code just because it have worked while typing in dumb monkey-mode.
> I'd prefer not to use such apps as they are (let me repeat) serious
> security threat.

I know, my point is, that there are specific cases, where an 'error' is too
widespread to try to fix everything and it might make more sense to just stop
enforcing our way and do what everybody else does. On the other hand, I'm
quite attached to PLD being for example FHS-strict.

> So just use binary shipped FF, OOo and other.

I use ux-oo, because a long time ago I got tired of our OO blowing up every
second upgrade. I really do think that such integration nightmares as OO or,
dunno, big java apps (especially considering java has it's own standards for
allmost everything and you don't gain anything by recompiling bytecode)
aren't worth trying to force our ways onto and it makes more sense to make
more of an effort to accommodate the stuff that's released by upstream. It's
a separate discussion though.

> And BTW it's not their choice again - they exist because of the same
> dumb monkey-mode coding.
> The Real Programmer ships patch for mainstream lib (like it was in FUR
> and librapi2), unless this library is seriously broken - in this case it
> shoudn't be used anyway.

At a certain complexity level it might not just be possible/worth it, to do it
The Right Way.

> Doesn't our patches go upstream? If they are rejected it usualy means,
> that authors are really dumb or don't give a shit. Either way we do The
> Right Thing.

A) Authors often have different goals then distributions, especially
non-mainstream ones, like PLD. So I'd guess more often then not, they'd be
saying we're the idiots. B) We can't save the world. Having more and more
pld-specific patches makes it harder to maintain PLD so in specific cases it
might make more sense to just give up and do what everybody else does.

> And you will have a few developers and users left, as PLD would have
> still less and less to offer.

I'm in favor of PLD being a compromise between being a geek's dream and
something that's actually usable without having to patch your way trough
every app.

--
Judge others by their intentions and yourself by your results.
                                                                 Guy Kawasaki