Split coreutils?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Jun 10 00:59:04 CEST 2008

Hi,

The problem we are currently facing is that installing packages to a
fresh system results in poldek being confused about coreutils + pam
circular deps. It seems to work with poldek from th-test but is not
reliable in ac or th-main. The end result is coreutils requires pam
which in turn requires coreutils and make and their installation is
broken. Both make and pam use the binaries provided by coreutils in
their respective %post sections.

Two proposed solutions:

1) move parts of %post in make and pam to %posttrans so they are
executed after the transaction is complete - ugly but could work

2) split coreutils into coreutils and coreutils base where *-base
contains all binaries except sudo and runuser as those depend on pam;
make and pam should then require coreutils-base instead of coreutils
and we get a clean dependency tree

If we don't have a huge disagreement here, I'll commit the second
option tomorrow.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution