Split coreutils?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Jun 24 22:31:54 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <arekm at maven.pl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 June 2008, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> >
>> > i guess it's rather rpm being confused? the circular loops can be broken
>> > with rpm-whiteout.spec. however i'd support package spliting really.
>>
>> coreutils rel 3 now has a separate subpackage for su and runuser. Also
>> sent to th-test for testing.
>
> The problem with split is that people using su to switch to root will have a
> problem after doing simple upgrade (most people won't notice -su subpackage).

I don't see how that's a problem - it's a matter of installing one
package (and not a required one - on my system no package requires
/bin/su). I'm used to typing 'sudo su -' but then I just installed the
subpackage and it works as expected. It's a one-time operation.

The only thing that might need fixing is rc.d files using 'daemon
--user foo' as in that case rc-scripts calls out to su. Still, no such
package on my system.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution