Two serious problems with Ac

Marcin Krol hawk at limanowa.net
Mon Mar 10 00:22:18 CET 2008

Hi.

I was just udpating my Ac chroots used by CRI. There are two very bad
bugs in current Ac (main + updates).

1. module-init-tools (3.2.2-3) has broken modinfo (and probably more
stuff). It doesn't work with 2.4 kernel. Try 'modinfo piix' or any other
module. It will say you something like
"/lib/modules/2.4.35-1smp/drivers/ide/pci/piix.o.gz: No such file or
directory". But file exists and has correct permissions. On 2.6.x
kernels it works ok.

Since geninitrd is using modinfo there is currently no way to generate
initrd for 2.4.x kernels.

2. Kernel 2.6.16.60 is broken. On all machines when where I tried to
boot it (including VirtualBox) it just displayed dozens of messages:

Unknown interrupt or fault at EIP 00000060 c0100295 00000294

and it finally hangs so only cold boot works.

So there is currently no working kernel in Ac. 2.4 probably works, but
no way to boot it as initrd can't be generated. 2.6 doesn't boot.

M.

P.S. Above test were all done using i686 architecture.