Two serious problems with Ac

Andrzej 'The Undefined' Dopierała undefine at aramin.net
Wed Mar 12 23:50:36 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:57:11AM +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> > I was just udpating my Ac chroots used by CRI. There are two very bad
> > bugs in current Ac (main + updates).
> >
> > 1. module-init-tools (3.2.2-3) has broken modinfo (and probably more
> > stuff). It doesn't work with 2.4 kernel. Try 'modinfo piix' or any other
> > module. It will say you something like
> > "/lib/modules/2.4.35-1smp/drivers/ide/pci/piix.o.gz: No such file or
> > directory". But file exists and has correct permissions. On 2.6.x
> > kernels it works ok.
>
> Are modutils installed?
>
> The only thing module-init-tools can do on 2.4.x is to exec modutils
> counterpart.
hm.. modinfo don't invoke modinfo from modutils - it just try to parse
/lib/modules/{version}/modules.dep.
Invoking - is bad idea, because modutils didn't support use of other
kernel from installed - what is needed by our geninitrd. For
module-init-tools this option is provided by
%{name}-modinfo-kernelversion.patch patch.

Problem is in parsing modules.dep - in modules.dep from 2.6 there is no
empty lines between modules. In modules.dep from 2.4 - there are empty
lines between modules, and finally it try to open file
'\n/lib/modules/.../piix.gz' - what will fail ;)

i don't know what is "right way fix" - fix modinfo to don't use empty
lines, or fix depmod from modutils to don't generate empty lines ;)

--
Andrzej 'The Undefined' Dopierała
Linux && Unix && Network administrator
JID: undefine at piastlan.net         e-mail: andrzej at dopierala.name