rpm 4.4.9 broken on Ac?

Marcin Krol hawk at limanowa.net
Sat Mar 15 12:28:39 CET 2008

Hello.

Yesterday I've encountered interesting behaviour on Ac machine. Frst
I've upgraded rpm* and poldek* to latest versions available from Ac.
Then after manual rpm --rebuilddb I've issued poldek --upgrade-dist.

Since system was quite old there were lot of packages and poldek output
was scrolling too fast to catch exact error messages, but I've seen
dozens of errors like "db: illegal operation/command .03]1ac..][3 /tmp"
or something similiar to that. ".03]1ac..][3" were always differnet pack
of random junk characters.

When upgrade has finished I've encountered dozens of ".03]1ac..][3" and
similiar junk directories in root directory of upgraded system. Most of
them were empty, some of theme contained empty 'tmp' directory inside.
I've deleted them all and launched installation of huge set of packages.

Again, there were same errors and same dozens of junk directories after
installation. There is probably some very ugly bug in Ac rpm 4.4.9.
However I think it needs something to "activate" as I didn't have such
issues on other systems where I've updated rpm. On the other hand I
wasn't doing such big upgrades/installs on those other systems.

Anyway, just wanted you to know. I've already put Titanium there :)

Cheers,
M.