SysVinit vs. upstart

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Thu Mar 20 01:15:28 CET 2008

For anyone interested:

I've just commited a SysVinit replacement for PLD using the Ubuntu's
wonderful upstart. For now all it does is behave exactly like our
SysVinit however it's much more powerful than traditional init. If at
any point we decide to migrate (migration from SysV is seamless as you
can replace rc.d scripts with upstart events one by one) we get
parallel start and service dependencies for free.

Needed packages are:

- upstart-SysVinit - provides traditional SysV binaries that our rc-scripts use
- upstart - provides replacement for init, event-based launch
mechanism and replacements for system maintenance commands like halt,
reboot and telinit

Installing upstart-SysVinit will replace your SysVinit package and
should result in exact behavior.

upstart is stable and used by Ubuntu and OpenSuSE users. Fedora also
ships upstart (but I think not yet installed by default).

More info: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution