SPECS (AC-branch): vim.spec - updated to 7.1.305 - php.vim updated to 0.9.7...

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Fri May 30 17:29:06 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:19:20AM +0200, Adam Gołębiowski wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:36:23AM +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > On Friday 30 May 2008 01:20, adamg wrote:
> > > - vim-heavy / gvim-heavy subpackages (todo done)
> >
> > should we perhaps package vim from vim package as vim.ncurses and make symlink
> > to vim and then one can replace the symlink with heavy manually? so it's done
> > line in gvim packages.
> >
> > or should we perhaps also overwrite symlink with first vim-heavy install (and
> > restore if uninstalled)?
>
> +1 for packaging vim as vim.ncurses (and perhaps separate vim-ncurses
> package).
>
> I was thinking with something like simple vim-config shell script. When
> vim/vim-heavy is installed, it checks for /usr/bin/vim existence and
> creates such symlink when necessary. When the other package gets
> installed, it does nothing, as /usr/bin/vim already exists.
>
> And for those upgrading older vim versions, vim package would create
> /usr/bin/vim -> /usr/bin/vim.ncurses symlink.
>
> Sample vim-config usage (idea borrowed from various gentoo's *-config
> scripts):
>
> # vim-config --list
>   [1] /usr/bin/vim.ncurses *
>   [2] /usr/bin/vim.heavy
> # ls -l /usr/bin/vim
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2008-04-09 21:57 /usr/bin/vim -> vim.ncurses*
> # vim-config --select 2
> # vim-config --list
>   [1] /usr/bin/vim.ncurses
>   [2] /usr/bin/vim.heavy *
> # ls -l /usr/bin/vim
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2008-04-09 21:57 /usr/bin/vim -> vim.heavy*
>
> And similar gvim-config script for gvim. {,g}vim-config would be part of
> vim-rt.

Uhm, looks like etc-alternatives specialization.
So maybe use more general solution instead of individual scripts in
dozen packages (I bet vim and gvim won't be the only ones, e.g. pinentry
is good candidate for the next)?

IIRC new versions of chkconfig have some etc-alternatives support?

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/