SPECS (AC-branch): vim.spec - updated to 7.1.305 - php.vim updated to 0.9.7...

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Fri May 30 17:43:49 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 05:33:35PM +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2008/5/30 Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org>:
> > Uhm, looks like etc-alternatives specialization.
> > So maybe use more general solution instead of individual scripts in
> > dozen packages (I bet vim and gvim won't be the only ones, e.g. pinentry
> > is good candidate for the next)?
> >
> > IIRC new versions of chkconfig have some etc-alternatives support?
>
> I am all against the etc-alternatives. 99% of these are per-user
> preferences instead of per-system. Most of these can be solved by
> adding a symlink to ~/bin/.

I am not enthusiastic about etc-alternatives, I find it a better
solution than individual per-package symlink-creation scripts.

As of vim case, user preference (and per-system default) is solvable
using $EDITOR. The problem is that default setting of EDITOR=vim used in
some packages requires installation of _some particular_ package to work
and I think this is the reason for the symlink idea.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/