CVSROOT: cvswrappers - treat patches as binary files

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Tue Nov 4 17:39:16 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:04:40 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

>>> been there,
>>> done that. It breaks Python.
>> Please attach testcase (original and modified file).
>
> foo1.py is the original, foo.patch is the patch against that (altered
> to mention foo2.py for easy testing). foo2.py is the new file. Run:

It's the _patch_ that's broken, not patching with -l.

> patch -p0 -l < foo.patch
>
> to break the code instead of failing.

Oh, breaking the code by dumb patching is always a case. The point is:
'patch -l' DOESN'T break anything as you were saying.

Of course it can hide some errors (this is obvious), however we can deal
with that giving additional '-F 0'. This way we'll force updating other
patches even if they apply now.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>