gdm 2.24.0

Radoslaw Zielinski radek at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 13 14:31:12 CEST 2008

Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-10-2008 13:54]:
> 2008/10/13 Radoslaw Zielinski <radek at pld-linux.org>:
>> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-10-2008 12:34]:
[...]
>>> - our SystemV starts mingetty after X and tty1 steals keyboard input
>>> (Xorg takes the first free vte upon start, this is not a gdm problem).
>> ...and an explanation why this statement is false.  Sorry, unless it
>> allows me to log in, I don't consider it working.
> PLD rc is broken, not gdm.

The functionality of being able to log in is broken after update to 2.24.

>>> Possible solutions:

>>> - install upstart-SystemV which brings ttys up before X - that's what
>>> most distros do
>> Conflicts: SysVinit then?
> R: upstart-SystemV

That would silently screw someone who relies on SysVinit.  Not acceptable
without discussing it and some consensus.

> Conflicts would prevent both.

C: real(SysVinit)  # sigh

[...]
> This can't be done in PLD unless we replace gdm-init with some sort of
> a configurable *dm chooser that we add to inittab which is not likely.
[...]
> Don't ask me, we use a pretty non-standard and not-recommended method
> to start gdm.

Too bad.  Seems like it's going to have to wait.

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek at pld-linux.org>