gdm 2.24.0

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Oct 13 14:40:47 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Jan Rekorajski
> <baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >> R: upstart-SystemV
> > Try doing that and gdm will end up in /dev/null.
>
> Because? AFAIK upstart is going to be default for Th at some point.

Did you become Th RM?
IOW don't play with my init if you're not going to come and fix it when
it breaks.

> upstart-SystemV is built from SystemV sources and is a compatibility
> mode for apps not using upstart event scripts.

> > No? Really? Damn, that must have been a miracle it worked for me for more
> > than 10 years...
>
> Xorg devs prefer if we let Xorg pick the vte. It worked for you
> because back then Xorg did not do this and gdm forced vte9.

Learn to understand what you're reading. X always could pick it's own vte.

> >> Don't ask me, we use a pretty non-standard and not-recommended method
> >> to start gdm.
> > What was the problem with forcing a tty number in default config?
>
> See above.

I see your lack of reading skills.

> > It worked for years. And BTW having multiple Xorg instances on one
> > machine is a very non-standard thing, so why should we care?
>
> It's pretty standard for any computer with user switching if you ask me.

So, how come nobody ever complained?

> >> It's a new app written from scratch. A more correct statement would be
> >> "everything is no more."
> > As usual with Gnome, total fuck up first, maybe clean up later. A lot later.
>
> Please elaborate on that on GNOME lists or /dev/null.

ROTFL. What for? I saw a "discussion" on removal of splash screen. Gnome devs
answer was "because", even after they heard from two major distros that
was stupid. Elaborating anything on GNOME lists is pointless because they
live in their own small world and can't hear anything else.

> > BTW When will you (you as Gnome develpoers) fix session handling (like
> > save/restore)?
>
> When you file a proper bug report.

See above, there's no point.

> >> Will do.
> > We'll see, and smite you if you screw this up again.
>
> Sure, sure. Either propose a working solution or kiss my tail -1

Sure, restore vte9 in default config. Plain and simple.

Janek
--
Jan Rekorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?