gdm 2.24.0

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Oct 13 17:18:10 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Jan Rekorajski wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>
> > Still, the recommended way to start gdm is using upstart or inittab as
> > xorg needs to be started after all ttys are up. We can work around
> > that for years but we're the only distro to run gdm this way.
>
> That was invented 9 years ago, and I don't really remember why :(

Ah, I remembered where {xdm,kdm,gdm}.init came from.
It was invented for X servers, a REAL X servers that do not have their
own display but serve X sessions to other machines. It was later
bastardized with KDM and GDM as a way to start local X session.

So, the proper solution is to add a no-display/tcp/xdmcp gdm config to
gdm-init and scream in post that this script is not intended for
starting local X server/X session (use /etc/inittab instead).

Janek
--
Jan Rekorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?