SPECS: privoxy.spec - up to 3.0.10 - not defined %_docdir issue

Tomasz Wittner tomasz.wittner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 23:15:22 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 14 of October 2008, 07:40, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > > Ability to install new version of package (usually library) without
> > > removing old one.
This "ability" breaks well known convention that documentation should be
placed in `${datarootdir}/doc/${PACKAGE}' (according to `info automake':
2.2.3 Standard Directory Variables)

Some programs have internal help, howtos, manual, etc viewers. These viewers
rely on ${datarootdir}/doc/${PACKAGE} documentation location. I'm not going
to fix such every program because of broken PLD packaging scheme (even such
fixes are trivial).

There is other issue - %doc macro should only do one thing - mark files as
documentation - unfortunately it does 3 things at once: marks files as docs
(this is OK), compress documentation files (it is not always desirable) and
copy files to %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}-{version} (it is most confusing and
harmful for me). IMHO %doc macro should accept some options for better
controlling its behavior.

--
Tomasz Wittner