SPECS: glibc.spec S: tzdata, too then

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Oct 26 21:32:51 CET 2008

On Oct 26, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Tomasz Pala wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 21:13:28 +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>
>>> +S: tzdata, too then
>>
>> LOOP now?
>
> Is is tight enough to cause any problems?

The issue is rather different than described.

Suggests: added using RPMSENSE_MISSINGOK (as PLD does) will
never cause a dependency loop while ordering.

Howvere, Suggests: are promoted to Requires: when the suggestion
is accepted. That's the issue that glen is worrying abt.

Meanwhile, I just gave glen a patch that will display LOOP:
messages always, not just when -vv is specified.

The noise from displaying LOOP: whenever a dependency loop is found
is surely gonna drown out the rather minor and technical detail
of whether a promoted Suggests: -> Requires: causes an additional loop.

Hint: read up on using %_dependency_whiteout to snip loops
deterministically.
The better fix, changing the packaging to not have any loops, is a
much harder issue to solve.

hth

73 de Jeff