INFO: cvs downtime

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Tue Apr 28 17:48:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 18:05:53 Jan Rekorajski wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > > how do i get list of all existing .spec files? i'm used to "search"
> > > packages that way.
> >
> > Currently only by checking out whole packages/ tree.
> > Suggestions are welcome.
> triggered symlinks on commits like it was done for filling packages/ tree?

We'll do, but I don't know if it won't go away if/when we switch from
CVS to something else (which is possible now after repo reorganisation).

> call it "official one":
>
> $ grep _topdir /usr/lib/rpm/macros.build
> %_topdir                %{expand:%%global _topdir %(test -d ../SPECS -a -d ../SOURCES && (cd ..; pwd) || echo $HOME/rpm)}%_topdir
>

> i'm just pissed that nobody warned such things like whole tree migrate
> are going to be done, just was only said "it is going to be done, now,
> 20 minutes ago"

Sorry for this. I (at least) was afraid that posting something more
elaborate would induce another flamewar and all will end in total failure.

> because i'm so much used to the old paths, i can't even type anymore,
> which pisses me off even more.
> cd ../BUILD/something <--- to the build dir of code
> cd -SP <- cd back to specs dir
> ./compile.sh something <-- run %build
> cd - <--- back to code source dir
> ls ../all-specs/*something* <-- find pkg matching "something"
> grep -r somesymbol <- find packages matching somesymbols
> mv ../RPMS/* ../packages ( <---- now this path has been evilly overtaken by pld repo)
> ./adapter specname <- adapter program not present
> ./repackage specname <- repackage.sh program not present
>
> i tried to reuse old structure being:
> %_topdir = ~/rpm/pld/SPECS
> but that fails too as builder script has hardcoded %_topdir/packages

I know it's not a perfect solution but I couldn't think of nothing better that
would make sense and _worked_. Really, you are the scriptology magician,
if you know how not to hardcode %_topdir/packages then please change it.

> such (filesystem) structure would be acceptable, but having buildri under SPECS is impossible as for that package name is needed to know:
> rpm/SPECS = cvs/packages
> rpm/SPECS/package = cvs/packages/package
> rpm/SPECS/package/package-1.23 = build dir of package version 1.23
> rpm/RPMS = resulting rpm's
> rpm/SPRPMS = resulting srpm's

Build dir in package space is a bad idea, you will end up with searching
through a thousands of directories looking for build leftovers that ate
your disk space. Current layout is IMO just what we need.

Janek
--
Jan Rekorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?