ghc missing patches

Jan Palus jan.palus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:46:58 CEST 2009

On 28.08.2009 15:09, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> On Friday 28 of August 2009, Jan Palus wrote:
> > As our ghc on ftp is missing libreadline.so.5 dependency I wanted to
> > rebuild it myself and found that two patches are missing
> > (ghc-system-libffi.patch, ghc-system-haddock.patch). Could somebody
> > (glen?) add them to repo?
>
> btw. rebuilding was a problem because ghc didn't support gcc 4.x

Today I've looked into ghc and *almost* managed to build it --with
bootstrap.  Problem is with variable values passed in our %configure
macro (CFLAGS,LDFLAGS...). ghc does some tricky stuff by prepanding
every configure option with --configure-option (mk/cabal.mk:22), then it
invokes other configure scripts through:

./libraries/cabal-bin ./ghc-6.10.4/bindist/bin/ghc ./libraries/bootstrapping.conf 1.6.0.3 configure --configure-option=...

which somehow strips the --configure-option prefix but fails for
variables. I guess all this magic is done in
./libraries/Cabal/Distribution/Simple/Setup.hs but for now it looks like
voodoo for me so I don't know how to fix it. The biggest PITA is that
configure scripts invoked with --configure-option=CFLAGS fail but
building process still continues...

Except this one there are still two small problems. First configure for
terminfo module can't find curses.h. Passing
--with-curses-includes=/usr/include/ncurses should solve the problem but
I didn't try it. Second docdir must be passed to both "make install"
contained in %install section, if not it tries to create
/usr/share/doc/ghc and fails.

If someone wants to finish it, please do so... I've got enough. ghc is a
mess.