packages: grub2/grub.sysconfig - default no recovery menu

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sat Dec 5 12:11:48 CET 2009

2009/12/4 Bartosz Świątek <shadzik at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/4 Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>:
>> 2009/12/4 Bartosz Świątek <shadzik at gmail.com>:
>>> Yep, sure, I'm gonna waste my time by pressing 'e' each time I wan't
>>> single user mode - that's dump - really dump.
>> Sure, I guess these five seconds per year (I assume a properly
>> configured machine needs such maintenance mode once a year) could be
>> spent doing something productive like arguing over a feature enabled
>> and then disabled by glen.
> Like you know how much development machines I have where this option
> is a "must have".

If you try to write in English at least reply to the right group.

> Pressing anything anywhere won't magically add a menu option back -
> don't you think?
> Pressing 'e' each time and adding apropriate options to get single
> user mode is a monkey job - I will gladly hire you for that if it's
> such a no big deal for you - will a banana for a day suite you as
> payment?

If you need to boot in single mode on a daily basis then you sir fail
at software.

> There are many people using PLD who don't even know what option to add
> to get to single user mode and googling it is kind of hard when your
> system doesn't boot properly.

These very same people will also have no idea what to do once they
boot with init=/bin/sh

>>> You do so if this option adds "to much noise" to your menu. By default
>>> this option is used by many distros, why should we do it otherwise?
>> That's right (yet probably accidental): let's keep it disabled, why
>> should we do otherwise?
> And this says someone who wanted to replace poldek in favour of yum
> and uses upstart (an ubuntu product). Bravo, your hipocrisy is even
> bigger than mine.

Please explain your logic flow (or rather flaw) as I fail to see both
my hypocrisy your point.

> I don't expect someone who thinks HTML is a programing language to
> understand what it means to administrate productive servers and to fix
> crucial software on them when someone else breaks it.

As much as you try to sound witty, I can safely bet that I've done
more programming in the last 12 years than you're going to make in
your entire life. In languages such as C, C++, LUA, Vala, Perl,
Python, Java, PHP or even Pascal and x86 assembler. To call HTML a
programming language would be as stupid as calling TXT one. Before you
call people names at least double-check your facts or you're going to
sound stupid.

No regards,

--
Patryk Zawadzki