JDK/JRE packaging

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Dec 31 13:25:45 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:27:37AM +0000, Artur Wroblewski wrote:
> 2009/12/31 Paweł Zuzelski <z at xatka.net>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > currently in PLD it is impossible to install few JDKs or JREs on
> > single system, because of files in %{_mandir} and %{_bindir}. All
> > the files in %{_bindir} are symlinks to some path containing JVM
> > vendor and version number (for example:
> > /usr/lib/jvm/java-sun-1.6.0.17).
> >
> > If we create a new subpackage containing only these files, it will
> > be possible to install few JDKs/JREs and choose the default one by
> > installing apropriate "symlinks" subpackage. Other JDKs/JREs can be
> > accessed using JAVA_HOME env variable.
>
> or drop idea of links and provide package which sets PATH and
> JAVA_HOME in /etc/sh.d?

And end with multiple-line-spanning $PATH (when we extend this procedure
for other packages) and no way to use direct, provider-independent,
paths to java tools where $PATH processing is not available (some of
such places: '#!' script headers (not applicable to java, though), sudo
configuration).

Having all command-line utilities in standard $PATH is IMHO a good thing
we should keep. The thing to think about is how to manage %{_bindir}
contents so alternatives can easily be used and co-exist.

Greets,
        Jacek