Th: dropping athlon and maybe deprecating ppc?

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Tue Mar 10 10:44:09 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:32:24 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> How is that possible? There are dependencies that won't allow random upgrading
> of architecture dependant parts.

These dependencies either don't allow upgrading at all (are not met and
one has to use --nodeps), or simply doesn't work. I've had such problems
many times, ending up with clean (as for deps) but not working system.
Don't forget that i686 is a subset of athlon.

Don't ask me how, I didn't care, but it IS PITA. I'm not sure if I want
to do this on my own workstation this way (absolutely not prepared nor
tested).
And remember: such painful upgrade -> less users and developers. Some
people are tired of neverending chasing for working system, personally I
know already 3 persons who dumped PLD and more standing in a queue.

Partial solution: create symlinks for all /*athlon*/ directories to i686
that are used.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>