Jabber going down

Mariusz Mazur mmazur at kernel.pl
Mon Mar 23 03:20:39 CET 2009

Jabber is back up again with gg transport working fine. Everything seems to be
in order and the new server seems stable, at least for now.

Well, allmost. The previous jabberd had a complete mess in the database wrt
character encoding. I did a mysqldump and this:
ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/misc/l is supposed to be the following string:
c3 85 e2 80 9a

I have absolutely no fscking idea how to convert something like that to a
normal 'ł' in utf8 and I've been trying for the past few hours. For the time
being I've patched the new jabberd to behave just like the old one and it
helped -- I'm seeing normal national characters in my jabber client, but
that's a short-term solution, since it'll make upgrading jabberd harder.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?