Jabber going down

Mariusz Mazur mmazur at kernel.pl
Mon Mar 23 15:41:24 CET 2009

Dnia poniedziałek, 23 marca 2009, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz napisał:
> This means that your database was broken initially.  There are ways to fix
> this if you have working old mysql setup and _then_ do dump.

To fix it, it was enough to tell mysqldump to use utf8 instead of latin1 for
dumping. The resulting file was perfectly normal utf8, even though the dump
said CHARSET=latin1 on all tables. It was enough to modify those CHARSETs to
utf8 and reimport the whole db using mysql (also set to utf8). It works fine
now.

I have no problem with it working this way, it's quite normal. The me being an
idiot part is that I missed this functionality.

What I *do* have a problem with however is that I have absolutely no idea what
exactly mysqldump did to those characters when it thought it was converting
them to latin1. Seriously, what kind of encoding conversion produces such
garbage as its output and doesn't complain that, hey, maybe there's something
wrong in here.