Jabber going down

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Mon Mar 23 15:52:39 CET 2009

On Monday 23 of March 2009, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek, 23 marca 2009, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz napisał:
> > This means that your database was broken initially.  There are ways to
> > fix this if you have working old mysql setup and _then_ do dump.
>
> To fix it, it was enough to tell mysqldump to use utf8 instead of latin1
> for dumping. The resulting file was perfectly normal utf8, even though the
> dump said CHARSET=latin1 on all tables. It was enough to modify those
> CHARSETs to utf8 and reimport the whole db using mysql (also set to utf8).
> It works fine now.

So someone imported utf8 to latin1 created tables? Looks like that. mysql does
conversion on the fly, so if it has bad data or bad information about the data
it will fail if conversion is going to be applied.

> What I *do* have a problem with however is that I have absolutely no idea
> what exactly mysqldump did to those characters when it thought it was
> converting them to latin1. Seriously, what kind of encoding conversion
> produces such garbage as its output and doesn't complain that, hey, maybe
> there's something wrong in here.

The thing is that convesion succeeded, so that part was fine. Ie. chars in A
were fully convertable to B (but of course that was crap from user point of
view).

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team