kernel: where's my RTC gone?

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sun Mar 29 23:19:30 CEST 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 20:37:56 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

>> Thnx, I've added it to dev-list, but I'm not sure what permissions are
>> suitable, you've got 660 while /dev/rtc already has 664.
>
> Too bad because this solution is invalid - see other mail.

I've commented this out as I can't find a way to make this number 'stable'.
For example ipmi_devintf module has ipmi_major parameter:

ipmi_major:Sets the major number of the IPMI device.  By default, or if you set it to zero, it will
 choose the next available device.  Setting it to -1 will disable the interface.  Other values will
 set the major device number to that value.

and thus can be bind forever, but I don't see any parameters for
rtc_cmos driver.

BTW why is it build into kernel not module?

1.1.2.75 Thu Dec 4 10:12:40 2008 by pluto
- built-in rtc cmos driver.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>