SOURCES: dev-list - added /dev/rtc0

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sun Mar 29 23:25:11 CEST 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 20:37:00 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> This is _very_ wong. 254 is dynamicly alocated major number. There can be
> different devices using 254 depending on kernel modules load order.

Yep, unless the module provides a way to set it up (as said in last mail).

> The correct solution for such non-udev systems would be probably init.d/dev
> script that would parse /proc/devices and setup /dev/ files properly. Not sure
> if MAKEDEV.spec is able to do the parsing on it's own but if it is then
> init.d/dev script calling MAKEDEV for some devices like rtc0 should be enough.

First of all I doubt we should build into kernel any drivers creating:

240-254 char    LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE
240-254 block   LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE
		Allocated for local/experimental use.  For devices not
		assigned official numbers, these ranges should be
		used in order to avoid conflicting with future assignments.

this way allowing system administrator to take care in any way (either
some script as you proposed or simply by strict loading order or sth).

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>