configure --host/build/target

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Oct 11 15:28:52 CEST 2009

On Oct 11, 2009, at 8:01 AM, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> Does anyone remember why we use such configure macro:
>
> ./configure \
>    --host=%{_target_platform} \
>    --build=%{_target_platform} \
>
> instead of
>
> ./configure \
>    --host=%{_host_platform} \
>    --build=%{_build_platform} \
>    --target=%{_target_platform}
>
> (where rpmbuild --target xyz changes only target_macro)

Likely because if what was commonly used in autoconf and RPM way back
when.

What additional actions RPM should undertake with %{_host_platform}
and %{_build_platform} have never been clear, nor does RPM do anything
special with those two macros, other than to permit the values to be
configured with macros and given to autoconf configure.

Sure --target changes only target macros. Well duh.

73 de Jeff