Native upstart scripts

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed May 5 14:32:19 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 02:13:51PM +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Łukasz Jernaś <deejay1 at srem.org> wrote:
> > Well, after seeing how many people have weird problems with PulseAudio
> > I would be cautious about using another thing  thought out by
> > Lennart...
>
> To be fair you have to admit that a vast number of the problems
> experienced while using pulseaudio are actually bugs in kernel audio
> modules and/or alsa API abuse (think opal, ekiga etc.).

I would rather say it is because of putting another audio server where
it is not needed at all. ALSA alone does its job well enough nowadays
(and if it does not, it should be fixed not wrapped with another layer).
Fortunately things have not gone too far yet and a system without
PulseAudio can still be set up (there was no such freedom in the dark
ages of ESD and ARTS).

This /sbin/init things are not that easy. We will always need some init
daemon… though I still won't chose an implementation only basing on the
fact that the idea is great. It must work and be maintained (or at least
stable as SysVinit) too.

Greets,
        Jacek