PLD-doc: PLD-update-TODO - updated

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Tue Nov 9 13:50:54 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 13:20, arekm <arekm at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> -busybox(42) [OLD] 1.16.2 [NEW] 1.17.3

I've been thinking a little about the notify script that generates
these messages. I'm working on a special purpose live-cd project and
upgrading the software that will go into it, so it's been a useful
little script.

However it doesn't seem that there is a formalized way of dealing with
different lines (devel, stable) or partial upgrades.

For example above busybox is no longer marked as needing an upgrade
because I started work on it yesterday. However I was unable to finish
the process and the current spec has a non-integer release number and
does not build. I committed the work so that the patches I was able to
update are available to someone else trying to get it upgraded, but
not because it ought to be marked off of a to-do list.

Also, there are lots of packages that have specific devel numbering
schemes (example: perl cpan packages where x.x[13579]x is devel and
x.x[24680]x is stable). The pldnotify.awk script doesn't seem to have
a way to understand these. Even the ispre() function doesn't seem to
work in many cases where it should.

Am I missing some available tools or is this really a hit-and miss
operation right now?

Caleb