rpm fails on upgrade

Jan Palus jan.palus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 17:25:15 CET 2010

Recently I added small patch to python-paramiko and built for testing, but
upgrading failed with:

error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/share/python2.7/site-packages/paramiko-1.7.6-py2.7.egg-info: cpio:
rename failed - Is a directory

Package from ftp contains directory /usr/share/python2.7/site-packages/paramiko-1.7.6-py2.7.egg-info
which in new package turned into plain file (I'm not python guru so I
have no clue why it happened at all). But generally speaking it is
possible for directory to change into file with the same name and
upgrade still should be possible. Is it my lack of knowledge or is it
rpm bug?