python3.2+ compiled files

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sun Apr 3 14:38:49 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Bartosz Taudul <wolf.pld at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>>> I would opt for this solution. We had many problems previously due to removing
>>> py files and py files are very usefull when debugging or working with python
>>> libraries.
> Again with this stupid argument? Will we also pack C/C++ sources in
> packages, because they are useful for debugging?

C/C++ works in an entirely different way. Do you propose we
minify/obfuscate .php files before distributing them?

>> +1, lots of software depends on being able to find .py files (plugin
>> discovery)
> So lots of software is broken by design. What else is new?

So you volunteer to fix the whole world in a way compatible with what
everyone else uses. And maintain the patches.

>> and sources are often the only source of (up to date)
>> documentation.
> So the source code is the documentation. What else is new? Are you
> simply trolling, or just are too ignorant to be aware that's also what
> happens with all other programming languages?

Except in Python you can execute/import .py files just fine. If the
program is not closed source, .pyc/.pyo/__pycache__ are just an
optimization detail. We could very well create them in %post.

<poor flame removed>

--
Patryk Zawadzki
I solve problems.