python3.2+ compiled files

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Sun Apr 10 12:02:26 CEST 2011

2011/4/10 Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org>:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 09:03:44PM +0200, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2011, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>>
>> > as for the .py sources packaging, i'd move them to -debuginfo package so
>> > the could be installed optionally
>>
>> Are you aware that some python apps do runtime feature checking and
>> setting based od the presence of .py files? That those apps can't live
>> without them? python-numpy being an example.
>
> Actually this one is a weak argument - detecting python modules by searching
> some hardcoded (or, even worse, scanned throughout /usr/*/python*) file
> paths instead of import availability is rather a hack.

Indeed, modules searching caused us problems in few cases, but patches
were always accepted by the authors of the offending software.

While speaking about rules, IMHO, we can treat such problems in exactly
the same way as autoconf/automake problems - we patch "configure.{in,ac}"
and "Makefile.am" not "configure" and "Makefile" files. More work for us in
first place, but better outcome in longer term for everyone.

Best regards,