ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs merge

Bartosz Taudul wolf.pld at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 11:22:07 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Caleb Maclennan <caleb at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> Yes, the Provides and Obsoletes will take care of being able to
> upgrade and replace the previous package names. The problem is that
> there is no notification feature for the OLD packages, they just get
> stuck at an old version and eventual disappear from the stable package
> set. However this is not a unique problem to this issue, it happens
> regularly and even I have been known to ask on this list where to find
> the "new" package name for something project that morphed into
> something else.
Maybe we should provide empty rpms for the obsoleted packages with the
appropriate R: and some special name in release field? For example:
ntfs-3g-1.2.3-69.packageexpired, R: ntfs3g-newshit

Then we may have a simple cron job that would do rpm -e `rpm -qa|grep
packageexpired` on a regular basis to remove the obsolete stuff.

wolf