softreset failed (device not ready)

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:36:53 CET 2011

Hi all!

When I booting, I got these warnings:
[    2.363408] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
[    2.363411] ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)

Now I have time, so I've googled and found this:
"I was able to fix the problem
by compiling my own kernel without sata pmp support.  The errors went
away and I can safely transfer large files.
If anyone wants help with this let me know, or maybe ill make a repo
with latest kernel with pmp disabled for sb600/sb700 users."

# lspci  | grep -i sata
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA
Controller [IDE mode]

Zsolt