Git migration: next step

Kacper Kornet kornet at camk.edu.pl
Thu Apr 5 18:40:30 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:04:27PM +0200, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 of April 2012, Kacper Kornet wrote:
> Is cvsadmin job for git described anywhere?

http://sitaramc.github.com/gitolite/admin.html

But I will prepare small description on our wiki.

> How I (as user) can change my ssh key?

In the current setup no. You have to send your public key to the admin.
But it is possible to enable ordinary users to change their keys.

> "admin defined command" - 404

Fixed.

> > http://www.pld-linux.org/dokuwiki/howto-git

> Are auto- tags restricted for pld-builders only? (should be).

Yes, only builder of the given PLD flavour can write them. None (even
builders) can remove or rewrite them.

> How workflow with DEVEL or APACHE_2_2 and such branches should look like? (aka
> are there any things different from cvs)

If you use builder script everything should be the same. The difference
is that in git branches and tags are in separate name spaces so it is
possible to have concurrently a branch DEVEL, and a tag DEVEL pointing
to different commits.

> > B. Is there anything more that should be done before D day?

> We have few scripts in CVSROOT (restricting access, cia bot notification,
> commit log notification, cdg, namecheck, filter tags,...). Are these scripts
> ported to git version of repository?

ciabot - implemented
cdg - for now I would leave it in CVS
sending notifications to distfiles and pld-cvs - implemented
filter_tas.sh - seems to be not used currently

> > Assuming that the migration to git would take place it could go
> > according to the following plan:

> > 2. Push converted repositories from gitolite setup on carme to
> >    git.pld-linux.org

> I would go for converting from current cvs from scratch (especially things are
> modified on cvs server side sometimes).

It is taken into account. The conversion is based on *,v file rsynced
from cvs.pld-linux.org

> How long such conversion takes?

My estimate is about 12-18h on carme.

> > 3. Setup git-daemon and gitweb access

> gitweb == or != cgit nowdays?

Yes. Gitweb is a perl code developed together with git. Cgit is written
in C and developed separately.

--
  Kacper Kornet