th stable (Re: gimp 2.8.0 rc1, gimp plugins)

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Sat Apr 21 11:39:31 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Tomasz Pala <gotar at polanet.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 22:07:14 +0100, Artur Wroblewski wrote:
>
>>> I really really am confused now. You're pretending your side of the
>>> story is how it's always been done in PLD. It's really not. HEAD was
>>> always reserved for stable package releases.
>>
>> right... especially in Ra and Ac times...
>
> Ra and Ac was detached from HEAD when they were released (i.e. frozen).
> Th is not.
> You keep avoiding one simple answer: why don't you want to use DEVEL?
> This is the tag designated _exactly_ for this purpose.

1. DEVEL is for unstable versions - we are talking about RC.

2. the release announcement contains the following statement

    The changes in GIMP 2.8rc1 since 2.7.5 are mostly not
user-visible. We merely
    updated the code to work with newer versions of GEGL and babl, fixed GFig
    rendering issues and used all the translation updates we got to the point.

3.  it does not look like there are major issues with 2.8rc1.

4. on top of that, i have tested it with my workflows before sending
the very first
email proposing the merge on HEAD.

5. babl and gegl are on HEAD anyway.

therefore, imho, it is worth _starting_ upgrading (but if you send it
to builders, then
it is your stupidity).

i was quite often putting rc versions on HEAD (depending on a project progress).
it was not a problem until now. it seems like some people want some more strict
rules about th development - iron them out and propose them on this
list. if not,
then we are wasting each other time.

regards,